From Shit - NaPoWriMo Day 11

Thursday, April 11, 2019

Prompt:  Write a poem of origin. Where are you from?   And having come from there, where are you now?

From Shit
(this one is a little unrefined...)

Figuratively, 
I am from sunshine and flowers.
Norman Rockwell and The Waltons.
Every meal around the table.
Christmas with cousins.
Birthday cake carousels.
Wading in the creek.

Literally, I am from shit.

Chicken shit
Pig shit
Cow shit

Shit I shoveled
Pushed
Hauled

Shit from animals
Sold to pay my tuition

Shit from animals
Spread onto fields
To grow crops
Sold to pay for my wedding

Shit from animals
Spread onto fields
Minus one acre
Sold for one dollar
One acre for our house

With cows on three sides
Where our children could grow up
Smelling, but never shoveling
Shit. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan
|

Your copyright

Your own copyright