A Quarantined Continuation of an Ongoing Problem

Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Our state representative is in a lot of hot water again.  I used to argue with him, and wrote a lot about him on my old blog - here - but I felt trampled and disheartened and afraid for our state and country after engaging with him and his minions.  

So I stopped.  I didn't look at his Facebook page for two years, I stopped following his ineffectual legislative proposals, I stopped worrying about having to run against him (because I would be a terrible, weepy opponent) and thank goodness, other good people have taken up that gauntlet only to have been surprisingly and  soundly beaten and, I'm sure, spiritually devastated.  

But last week, he posted a meme he had made on his FB page, and after all the Indianapolis stations and paper ran stories about this latest debacle, I had to go look.  

I don't like him, I don't want him to be my representative, I pretty much hate everything he stands for, and I really really hated the blatantly racist meme he posted.  But that part of me that's been working so hard on inner peace and kindness thought he needed something good for his page, so I sent him a link to an ABC Nightline segment about some good things going on to Cummins (where Clay works) - you know, something to be proud of in District 69.  His people working hard to make the world a better place.  Something you would expect a State Representative to post on his Facebook page. 

He shared it without fanfare or comment.  But I was happy.  

But then, I'm a schmucky Pollyanna. 

Not 10 minutes later, he posted a long rant about why he isn't a racist.  He gave his readers a dictionary definition of "racism" (as a former English composition teacher, I always wanted to inscribe a huge "F" in smelly red Magic Marker on any paper that started, "Webster's Dictionary defines ______ as ______."  Egads.).  He railed against those who see racism in what he posted - we are the true racists.  We are the uneducated.  We are the unreasonable.  We don't have a sense of humor.  

Against my better judgement, I posted a comment.  As you can imagine, I commiserated over my comment for a good hour, making sure it wasn't too snarky.  

It's a little snarky.  

A real and important part of the fight against racism, hatred, intolerance and injustice is to take a moment before speaking (or posting) to consider how your words and actions will affect others who are in very different socio-economic, racial, ethnic, religious, or political situations from yourself. To “put yourself in another’s shoes.” To speak kindly with others and genuinely consider differences. This is leadership, leadership for both those who agree with your political leanings as well as those who firmly disagree with you. As you well know, what seems funny to you can be horribly offensive or simply obnoxious to others. Even if you swear you didn’t mean it that way. Even if all the other kids are saying it. Be better than that. Be a leader who values human spirit more than the fast giggle. Be a leader who values human dignity more than the “clever” meme. Maybe give up meme-making all together in an attempt to repair the integrity of the position to which you have been elected. 

And I signed it "from your favorite SJW Liberal Peacenik Snowflake."

Just because.    

He didn't reply.  

There were over 700 comments on his post, split fairly evenly between "Good job, dude, don't let the libtards get you down"  and "we need to get these POC out of our country" to "you are a raving egomaniacal racist lunatic"  and "you piece of shit." 

As superior and sassy as I felt when I posted my comment, I felt like ick inside after reading the comments from his supporters.  These are the people who open carry.  These are the people who refuse to wear a mask, citing it as an infringement of their freedom.  These are the people who break the arms of employees who are simply trying to enforce store policies about masks and social distancing. These are the people who shoot black men out for a run.  

And even if I quarantine myself from his Facebook page again (which I have already done), these Tea Party Republicans, these KKK members, these NRA nuts, the Make America Great Again folks are out there, spewing the  evil on Statehouse steps, carrying grammatically illiterate signs and waving Confederate flags while their guns swing from their shoulders

And it scares me.  
I wish I knew the solution, the key to some sort of peace between them and us.  Us and them.  Some glue that will make us all OK with each other again.  

If you find it, let me know, ok? 



1 comment:

Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan
|

Your copyright

Your own copyright