An Opinion on An Opinion - Mockingbird

Saturday, March 30, 2019

There is an ongoing debate in the Bartholomew County School Corporation (just north of here) about the appropriateness of teaching To Kill A Mockingbird  in their two high schools.  I've been aware of the brouhaha for a while, as I like to keep tabs on book banning (and write kind yet pointed letters of dissent, of course), especially when it concerns one of my favorites.  

Today, in their local paper, The Columbus Republic, there was an article about the debate (here), and although I know better than to engage on Facebook (having been scolded, bullied, and hurt before), I couldn't help myself.  And since it's some of the only writing I've done this week (I've THOUGHT about a lot of writing  - "working it out in my head" as Clay would say), I decided I would share my comment here:  


First, how can we teach the importance of tolerance and avoidance of hate speech if we remove all chances of guided, educated discussion from the schools?  I believe that To Kill A Mockingbird gives educators an almost perfect opportunity to do so; to quote Atticus Finch, "There's a lot of ugly things in this world, son, I wish I could keep 'em away from you.  That's never possible."  Rather than hide from the ugliness of racism, address it head-on.


Secondly, if I were a student at a Columbus high school, I would be deeply offended by the inference in this article that my mind is so small and shallow that by simply reading the n-word in a book, I automatically will begin using it to bully and degrade others.  My hope for the future lies in the strong, smart voice of teens (like David Hogg, Emma Gonzalez and Greta Thunberg) who see the intolerance, injustice and hatred around us, call it out, and say "no more".


And finally, I would encourage Julie McClure, the writer of this article (which I would classify more as "op-ed" than "local news") to go to the library, check out a copy of Mockingbird and read it in its entirety.  I understand that it will not have a place on her bookshelf, but the story of a wise parent teaching his children to understand the failings and evils of the world and how to stand against them is as important today as it was in 1960, when the book was published; tolerance of race, class, ethnicity, sexuality/gender and just plain old differences (the Boo Radley in every one of us) should be taught in every home and every classroom.  


Peace.



4 comments:

Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan
|

Your copyright

Your own copyright