Our Norwegian Adventure - The What (As in, What We Knit)

Sunday, April 9, 2023

  It was a knitting cruise, after all...


The first night on the ship, Arne and Carlos gave everyone on the cruise a tote bag full of two skeins of Ask Norwegian wool from Hillesvag Ullvarefabrikk, two sets of Prym double-pointed needles (3.0 and 3.5) and some sweet little tags to attach to our knitting.  Plus their patterns for Arctic Circle mittens and wristwarmers.  (I think I might do some embroidery on the tote bag - wouldn't you?) 

A nice skein of yarn and some needles I purchased at Heiman Husfliden Glasmagineset in Oslo, just in case our big suitcase (with my knitting needles and projects inside) didn't show up.  It did, though!


Since we were each given a tote, Clay told me he thought he'd like to try knitting, so I cast on 10 stitches for him and he practiced -- maybe it's a tiny scarf?  Maybe a bookmark?  


And he practiced.  


And before we knew it, he had completed a wrist warmer.  

I had been knitting for years before I attempted double-pointed needles, and probably a couple more years before I knit colorwork (my favorite).  He did both of these in his first few days as a knitter.  

I cast on for the mitten, knit some of the ribbing, ripped it out, started again (thanks to Leslie, who showed me what a difference it made to make the knit stitches on ribbing through the back loop of the stitch - so neat!) and was doing ok until I got to the charted portion - although my seasickness was under control, trying to read the charts made me a little queasy.  


Clay, meanwhile, moved on to the Sedestal hat.  (As Arne said, I think he has a new hobby!)


I had purchased that yarn (Rowan Norwegian Wool) and Arne and Carlos' Glow Field Guide pattern book from Modern Daily Knitting, thinking I'd knit the hat and probably the mittens and maybe even the sweater pattern included in the booklet.  Now, I just think I'll let Clay knit them all for me.  (Since he doesn't really like to wear things made of wool.  But maybe he'd wear sweaters if he knit them himself?  We will see...)

Just a little side note:  I was fortunate to be able to meet Arne and Carlos in Nashville at the Modern Daily Knitting shop/warehouse last November, when we were on our way to Texas for a visit with Clay's mom for Thanksgiving and they were on their US tour.  AND, I got to chat for a few minutes with Ann and Kay, the founders of MDK, women I have admired and followed since I bought their first book and made about a million ball band dishcloths.  I'm still a big fan, read their newsletter every week and start with their online shop when I need/want some new yarn.

I think this may be a Pressed Flowers Shawl Kay has on -
It went on my to-knit list when I saw Ann wearing hers on the cruise. 

Here's some of the yarn I purchased on the cruise:

Ask Yarn (sport weight?) from Hillesvåg Ullvarefabrikk and Isager Silk Mohair.  I was thinking of mittens when I bought this, but now that I've knit a sweater with wool and mohair, I wish I had purchased enough for a sweater ( A "sweater quantity" as the prolific sweater knitters on the cruise called it.)  Orange and pink
stripes?  Maybe...


Because I was having a little trouble reading the charts, I thought I needed something solid to work on.  I saw Carol, a lovely knitter, cheesecake maker and stuffed bear lover,  working on a hood and asked her about it.  (When my sisters and I were in NYC in late February visiting my niece, Carly, she said she wished she had a balaclava for the bitter cold days  - this would be perfect!)  We found the Rauma Garn wool in the Husfliden in Kirkenes, and the pattern, Oktoberhette, was free.  Except it was in Norwegian.  Carol helped me get started, then I found a translation on Ravelry.  

I finished the hood when we got home - it fits nicely around the face, but there is a ton of extra fabric at the back of the head and the neck doesn't lay down nicely, just as Carol had told me.  I've already sent it on to Carly (via her mom), but think I'll ask her to bring it back when she's home in May, and I'll have another go at it, eliminating a lot of the bulk in the back and working some short rows on the neck of the hood (just as Carol told me!)  



I can't remember what little town we were in, but Arne and Carlos walked us to a very nice shop where I purchased this Baby Ull Lanett from Sandnes Garn.  I've knit up one little pair of Mini Selbu mitts, and am anxious to knit a few more pair for new babies in our circle of friends. (This is a free pattern on Ravelry by Tina Hauglund.)

So sweet - this pattern would be great for Christmas ornaments for your tree, too.


And finally, I bought this beautiful hand-dyed, Bergen-dyed skein (and the companion Sandnes Garn Silk Mohair) at Strikkelykke, a shop in Bergen (on our return trip there) that was chock-a-block full of beautiful yarn.  We saw many of our cruise friends there shopping, as well - that was a bonus!  I think I'll make a shawl for myself from this - inspired by many of the beautiful lacy shawls worn by knitters on the cruise.  

When we got home (and when I no longer felt like I was still on the boat!), I finished my mitten:  



There are lots of mistakes, but I learned some new techniques, and will try to complete a second one before the cold weather returns to Indiana!  

For now, the A&C wrist warmer and mitten are enshrined in the cabinet that's full of special things Clay has brought back from his travels, because they are very special reminders of our very special trip. 


Peace.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan
|

Your copyright

Your own copyright